The Department of Economic and Community Development is the state’s lead agency responsible for strengthening Connecticut’s competitive position in the rapidly changing, knowledge-based global economy.
The agency takes a comprehensive approach to economic development that incorporates community development, transportation, education, and arts and culture. Specifically, the department:
- Supports existing businesses and attracts new businesses and jobs with a wide range of programs and services to help companies prosper;
- Promotes Connecticut industries and businesses here at home, throughout the country and across the globe;
- Strengthens Connecticut’s communities by providing funding and technical support for local community and economic development projects;
- Works to make tourism a leading economic contributor and a source of pride for Connecticut;
- Develops and strengthens the arts in Connecticut and makes artistic experiences widely available to residents and visitors; and
- Helps to eliminate brownfield properties by promoting smart growth principles, strengthening public/private partnerships and providing a one-stop resource for expertise.